Carrier Service

Available To

Select University employees or departments

Service Overview

Select University employees or departments having remote/off-campus locations may need to acquire lines from the Local Exchange Carrier (LEC) such as Frontier or AT&T. Both voice and data lines, such as FiOS, are available through the appropriate LEC. Under the direction of the Division of Administration and Finance, the Division of IT assists campus departments with acquiring and coordinating campus-approved, University-owned service.

Service Details

Obtaining a Carrier Service

In general, if your department requires the use of an office, retail, research, event, or other type of space that is away from the primary campus location, a request can be submitted to initiate the process to get lines installed.

Requesting Services

  • When submitting a request to initiate carrier service, you can ask for general cost information, and go no further.
  • For existing carrier service customers, you can request services for trouble reports or work orders, such as for changes in service or requesting disconnections.
  • If you require an installation, an approval request will be sent to your ASM once the applicable service has been identified through a discovery process with a needs-assessment.
  • You will be contacted for further information after the ticket request is submitted. 

If you have any general inquiries, please contact ITS Telecommunications at (562) 985-4480 or

Request Service


Service ID: 44841
Fri 7/24/20 12:09 PM
Fri 7/24/20 1:38 PM